The building is four-stories built in 1925 as a Masonic Lodge Temple and known as the Knights of Pythias building. It was designed in a Classic Revival style with originally 600 seats (450 today) and was intended as an anchor for the business district of Logan. The theatre’s opening night was on November 1, 1925. The Knights lost it during the Great Depression and the Masons bought it sometime later. Phil Chakeres of Springfield, Ohio, leased the theatre in 1935, upgraded it, and later purchased it in 1948 to be operated along with a chain of 37 other Chakeres theatres in Ohio and Kentucky. It has since changed owners several times and is currently for sale.
In its heyday, the theatre presented Vaudeville performances, singers, cowboy entertainers, famous live performers, and movies. Sammy Davis, Jr., for example, performed on stage when he was a child. It closed in the early 1990s.
The Chakeres Logan Theatre was named along with eight other buildings to the Heritage Ohio’s Top Preservation Opportunities List for 2011. It has been identified in studies as the cornerstone of Logan’s economic base. The 2013 report entitled the Community Economic Development Assessment of Hocking County prepared by the Hocking County Community Improvement Corporation and the City of Logan identified the restoration of the theatre as the economic driver for the community.